Friday, February 7, 2014

Fear Friday ~ I Wouldn't Eat That Box Of Chocolate If I Were You!


Welcome to another Fear Friday here at Laughing Vixen Lounge. It is February and all of our films will have a Valentine theme to them. This week comes a remake of a Valentine horror classic. Back in the '80's horror films were all about holidays. Once Friday the 13th was a hit no holiday was safe. This film took it's shot at Valentine's day and made one bloody mess of it. Enjoy!

Every Friday at the Laughing Vixen Lounge Blog is Fear Friday. Fear Fridays are a celebration of all films spooky. Horror is a very broad genre and the Lounge loves it all. Each Friday you will find a review of a different film. These can range from Classic Horror (black and white and cheesy), Thrillers (suspense, jumps and a good mystery), outright Horror (chop chop, slash slash, die die) and anything else in between.

So pop some popcorn, kill the lights and enjoy tonight's selection. And please, share your comments on the film. Bad or good let me know what you thought of it. And now, my little ghouls and dolls, the Laughing Vixen Lounge Blog is proud to present this week's film.


Fear Friday - My Bloody Valentine

1981

2009

Tagline - He's gonna break your heart.
              Nothing says 'date movie' like a 3D ride to
              hell!

Directed by Patrick Lussier (Dracula 2000) and released on January 19, 2009 by Lionsgate (Rated R). Starring Jensen Ackles (Supernatural), Kerr Smith (Dawson's Creek) and Jamie King (Gary Unmarried). In the mining town of Harmony a horrible accident kills 5 people in the mine. The one survivor awakes from a coma on Valentine's Day and kills 22 people. Amongst the dead are a bunch of teens who were having a party down at the mine (yeah, that sounds like a smart idea!). Only a few teens survive. Skip forward 10 years as everyone comes together again in the small town. People have changed, lives have changed but one thing remains the same....It's Valentine's Day and people are going to start dying!

I usually stand behind the original version of a movie as the best but here I actually find the remake to be much more fun to watch. The two do vary a bit in story and who the killer ends up being but they have the same overall story and feel to them. The remake is fun and kept me guessing who the killer was. Early on I had my suspicion but it was good at making me doubt my choice. I flopped like a fish back and forth until the end. Which is a good thing in my book. I don't want to completely see the ending coming from a mile away.

Beyond that it's pretty much your standard slasher film. Nothing to terribly original but lots of fun none the less. If you want something that won't make you think too hard and has some pretty boys to look at, then pop some popcorn and settle in with this little gem.

Take a look at the original trailer.



Some trivia about the movie.
1. The first two characters killed on screen are named Jason and Michael, an homage to characters from the Friday the 13th and Halloween series where the killers are non-speaking. A direct reference to the films is how they die - trademark features of the characters.
2. The film was made into a haunted house at Universal's "Halloween Horror Nights".
3. A flyer on a wall indicates that Valentine's Day is Saturday, February 14th. That would mean the previous day is Friday the 13th.

2 comments:

  1. I think it was the remake that I watched on SyFy. It was the one where one girl decided to protect herself by hiding behind an upright mattress....it was more a comedy than a horror, for me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I really do not like slasher movies. Too scary for me.

    ReplyDelete